Sunday, November 22, 2015

First Love

Even as turbulent and crazy as our relationship got, there was always one day, one moment that I never forgot. Even when things got bad, I would hold on to that one day in time. It was the day I realized I was in love with him.

We had known each other for a while at that point, spending time with each other quite often. I knew I had fallen for him, but I didn’t realize it ran deeper than just that. One day, he had a 4 hour layover in my city. We had planned to get dinner together, probably our favorite semi-Mexican place. I counted down the hours and minutes, until I got out of work. I even left a little earlier than usual. Luckily for me, the train near my office went straight to the airport.

As I jumped on the train, I thought about the little moments, all ones we had shared together since we met. I felt a happiness, a warmth that filled me. At the time, I just chucked it up to giddiness at the prospect of seeing him. Upon arriving at the airport terminal, I went down the escalators to the Delta arrivals/departures area. I was just about to call him to ask where he was, when I saw him. He was dressed in his usual hipster attire: jeans, scarf, shirt, and a jacket I hated. He didn’t have the raging beard that I loved. Instead, it was a much more manageable scruff. I missed the beard. The thing that got me was the smile on his face, big and bright.

Part of me wanted to run to him but I forced myself to walk, though I walked very very quickly. The entire time I was smiling so hard my face was hurting. When I finally reached him, I fell into his arms and wrapped mine around him. I hugged as hard as I could. In that moment, I was happy, utterly, completely, happy. The warmth inside had turned into a blazing fire and it was wonderful. That moment felt like forever but in reality it was probably only a few minutes. And I cherished each one. It was in that moment that I realized I was in love. Not just falling for him, but a love that touches your soul and fills every cell in your body with hope. And just like that, I was in love for the very first time in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment