There are certain things in life only kids raised by immigrant parents will ever really get. I was born and raised in the US by Indian immigrants. Here are a few stereotypes/issues that every 1st generation kid can understand.
Gossip
I could go on for hours on this topic, but an example will have to do. Last month, I went to my cousin's wedding. The day after the wedding, I went over to my aunt and uncle's hotel room to where a group of the parents were. I went mainly to go play with the kids. While I'm playing with my younger cousins, I start the parents start bitching about who they got stuck sitting with at the wedding. Who did this, who was being rude, how rude they are, and how they have no class, et cetera, et cetera. That is just the tip of the iceberg. It hasn't even been a full 24 hours and the gossip has begun.
There's a stereotype among our generation that goes a little like this: you go to someone's house and everyone is nice to each other. The minute you leave, they start talking about you. Your car has barely left the driveway when they start in on you. I've been privy to this more than once. As a friend once put it, "Some aunties need to be hired by TMZ. At least they'll make some money off of all the gossip they got. They'd never go out of business!" Ensuing eye roll . . .
2-20 are in the works.
More to come . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment