Monday, June 30, 2014

Theory of Likeability

Of my three closest guy friends, one is what I like to call the funny asshole. He’s blunt but funny. More often than not, what comes out of his mouth are the truths that most don’t want to acknowledge, even if it’s what everyone else is thinking. This is what I call A___’s theory of likeability aka how to get people to like you. This started off as a random daily conversation and then morphed into a value added lesson. I take no credit for the following. 

 “One thing that I find works: if you want someone to like you, ask them to do little things for you. Gradually increase the things you ask for. Just start with something small, like ‘Pick that up for me’ or ‘could you give me a ride here if it’s on your way.’ Then you give them a biscuit with gratitude and a little charm.”
Note: metaphorical biscuit, not actual.
“There’s a second part to this. When you ask people to do stuff for you, sometimes you got to do nice things, like buy them ice cream when they least expect it. Coffee, pick up a cheap lunch. We call this ADDED VALUE. Thank you's that actually come off as really thoughtful yet inexpensive. Then before you know it, you got someone taking your notes for you! And all you got them was a Jr Bacon in return! I’m telling you try it! Works with boys and girls!”

No comments:

Post a Comment